How to Read Roman Numerals – The Additive Property
The ‘techo’ title above simply means in order to represent larger numbers the Romans ‘added’ their symbols together.
e.g. LXXXIII = 50 + 10 + 10 +10 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 83
Roman Numeral Hints:
– When writing roman numerals NEVER use more than 3 of any symbol.
– When smaller numerals are on the right hand side of bigger ones ADD them to the larger.
Analyze the examples on the parchment. Work out how the symbols are added together to get the final answer.
Then try these:
– Convert XVIII to our Hindu Arabic numbers (our number system)
– Convert XXXVIII to our number system
– What is LXI in our number system?
– DCXXXII =
– MMVI =
Take me back to the Roman Numbers Page